Ok, so anyone who has read my older posts, or that I’ve spoken to any time in the last few months, should have an idea how much I LOVED Dragonborn by Toby Forward. I think even Toby himself has an idea as he honoured me by commenting on my blog post. I must admit I was cuffed! But what can I say, I needed to tell the world that loved it!
So much so, I even squeezed in a re-read of it before reading Book 2 in The Flaxfield Quartet: Fireborn. I had other book-industry friends look at me in surprise and say “How did you manage to re-read a book? I wish I had the time…”
Where did I find the time? I made it. I set aside a whole day and read Dragonborn from cover to cover. Nothing else was achieved, which was perfect; I had nothing else I wanted to do. It was even better through the 2nd time, but that’s a story for another day. This post should be about Fireborn.
Fireborn takes us back to before the events of Dragonborn and we get a detailed description of what happened to bring about the wild magic and set things on an unpredictable and dangerous path. Stories told in book 1 that appeared to be myths or legends to teach a moral turn out to be truth. I don’t want to say too much, in case I give something away. This is a series that any self respecting fantasy fan (or fiction fan in general) should be rushing out the door to get their hands on. And now! Before you start being told by too many people how good it is. Be one of the first, the originals, who tell their friends to read it and can say they were there at the beginning.
Fireborn holds its own against Dragonborn. I think neither outshines the other; both are exceptionally crafted.
On a personal note, one thing I noticed reading book 2 (and thinking back to book 1) was how brilliantly Toby Forward uses unanswered questions. As in many real life conversations, people ask questions that sometimes will prompt a change in topic by the other person to avoid answering. Or an allusive answer is given. This happens regularly throughout both books and, for me, it made it more real, and so much more compulsive!
Fireborn has confirmed what I suspected after I read Dragonborn: Toby Forward deserves a place on my shelf (on your shelf too) next to Usula K. Le Guin, J.R.R. Tolkin, Patrick Ness, Phillip Pullman, and the other great writers of fantasy. As an aspiring author myself, I found myself taking mental note of various writing techniques that Toby Forward has used that inspire me endlessly. I have been caught a few times smiling wistfully to myself by my partner, and when asked ‘what are you thinking?’ I confess sheepishly that I had been thinking about The Flaxfield Quartet.
Missed the first one? Read my review HERE

No comments:
Post a Comment