At the beginning of 2012 (well late 2011 to be precise) I decided that this year I would make a more concerted effort with my blogging. I set up a spreadsheet to schedule and plan ahead, I allocated certain things to certain days I was all pumped and ready. Return readers might be aware that I vaguely follow this pattern:
Monday:
A review of a fiction title - pretty much either YA or junior fiction as that's about all I read.
Tuesday:
Miscellaneous... I left this open to whatever took my fancy, but it turned into another fiction review.
Wednesday:
JudgeABook. I really like these posts. They are different from a straight forward review and also let me stretch my creative writing muscle in an achievable way.
Thursday:
A picture book review.
Friday:
Fairy Tale Friday. I set up a second blog last year dedicated to fairy tales. Unfortunately I found it too difficult to read for work, read for uni, read for pleasure, write for 2 blogs, write for uni, write creatively (aspiring author here), and then, you know, live as well. (Sometimes my partner thinks he's a Blog-widow). Something had to go. So I brought my other blog over to this one as a weekly post. That way it's not ignored, yet not overwhelming.
By all means, my hit count has increased dramatically this year, but something about 5 posts a week will do that... It's more that I don't know how many people are repeat readers, my subscribers count is embarrassing and I seem to get more hits from people google-ing the book I've reviewed than anything else.
So, after I read that readers want something other than reviews if they are going to subscribe, I've spent nearly two weeks racking my brain for something exciting to replace my Tuesday Posts to spice things up a bit here.
I had thought, that working in the book industry, I would have countless things to write about that would entertain and inform. If I do have these things rattling around in my brain, they aren't presenting themselves.
So, have I come to any conclusions?
Other than blogging about my floundering efforts as a blogger, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps I'll have to start taking notes during my days selling books and then write quick anecdotes. Perhaps I'll rant on like I have now and hope people are interested. I see other people do that in their blogs all the time!
Do you, Reader, have any suggestions for me? What do you look for in a book blog? What would excite you? What would make you pause as you scroll listlessly through your blog feed? Is changing my Tuesday posts enough?
These are the things currently going through my mind.

Dare I say... that your blogs are about books and that's what I want? If he/she finds blogs that only review books boring, go read another blog? Isn't that the whole point?
ReplyDeleteI'm not trying to attack her or defend you, but there's a place for everything on the internet. Many of the more "interesting" blogs have multiple authors.... so go figure?
Yeah I know what you mean. The internet is for all brands of crazy. But this is more in the interest of attracting more readers... I mean, My blog isn't going to change from reviewing books any time in the foreseeable future, but was just trying to see what those who did read it now thought.
Delete:)