Little Red Riding Hood
Who wrote it?
Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
Where can it be found?
in ‘The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales’
Edited by Maria Tatar
Edited by Maria Tatar
Adaptation?
According to the introduction, it was changed slightly by the Grimms from the traditional oral versions at the time to be more overtly a cautionary tale.
My thoughts in exactly 10 words:
The story as generally known with interesting turns of phrase.
Extended thoughts:
The events in this particular telling of this story are similar to those that most of us have grown up with. However I felt there was a lot more depth to what was being said, underlying the words, that I think is missing from most of the modern retellings I’ve read that are straight re-writes of the “original story”.
Favourite Quote:
I’m having trouble choosing between two. So I’m going to put them both in.
“Little Red Riding Hood, have noticed the beautiful flowers all around? Why don’t you stay and look at them for a while?”
(if only it were that easy to get people do what you want them to)
“Oh, my goodness, I’m usually so glad to be at Grandmother’s house, but today I feel really uncomfortable.”
Is it annotated?
Yes.
Most interesting thing I learned from the annotations:
Early oral versions of this story were much more erotic. Little Red Riding Hood would mention a body part of the wolf (as we all know: ‘What big… you have!’) and then she would mention an article of her own clothing and remove it in a strip tease.
Moral of the story in my own words:
Sometimes, parents give us instruction for good reason. Oh, and don’t talk to strangers, particularly those with hairy snouts.
4 Silver Stars
Find it on Goodreads


No comments:
Post a Comment