This book came to me highly recommended by someone who has a
good eye for the brilliant. On top of that, Patrick Ness, with whom I’m more
than a little obsessed, is quoted on the cover saying “Hoban is the best sort
of genius.” Further, I’ve had a soft spot for Alexis Deacon ever since I read
‘Beegu’.
All in all, I was pretty geared up to read it. And it didn’t
disappoint.
Rather than reading the back or anything, I jumped straight
into it taking what I found as I went. Immediately I was immersed in the ‘The
North’, “where’s it so cold that your nose hairs get stiff and your eyeballs
get brittle and your face hurts and your hands will freeze if you leave them
uncovered for too long… Where the polar bear walks alone and is never lost.”
Hoban’s words conjured up that north in my mind with just enough detail to
guide me through it, without so much that my imagination didn’t have room to
play in the snow.
Then we met Sixteen-Face John, Sharman of his village and
(he discovers early on) father to be. Only, his wife, No Problem, is concerned
that Soonchild isn’t moving, not one kick, and isn’t getting ready to come into
the world. John sets out on a quest to bring back the World Songs – the music
that stirs all soonchildren to leave the womb. So for the first time ever, he
makes a Big-Dream Brew and embarks on a spiritual journey that will, ultimately, save the world.
Mystical, arresting, and inspiring, Soonchild is an amazing
book that will have you feeling like you are on the Big-Dream journey with
John. The conversations with the various spirits – animal & ancestral – are
magical and amusing. This really is a book that you experience and remember.
Alexis Deacon’s illustrations are dark, sparse, and
ethereal: EXACTLY what was needed to accompany such brilliant text.
Keep in mind this won't be everyone's cup of 'big-dream brew' as it is a bit left of center; but then again,
most outstanding things are.
Find it on Goodreads




Good review! You're spot on: Sixteen-Face John's big dream trip is the reader's big dream trip. And I reckon young adults might like this kind of ontological sympathy - the world is a harsh, strange place.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I know what you mean, it is a strange dark place, but one filled with wonder and beauty and unexpected surprises. :)
DeleteGreat review! (I saw your link on Goodreads and clicked over.) Thanks for including some internal pages. They're gorgeous. It makes me want to read it more.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found your way here and liked the review! I can strongly recommend it! It's worth the trip! :)
Deletewow. I'm sold.
ReplyDeleteExcellent! ;) Well worth it!
Delete