Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Carole Wilkinson's Dragonkeeper Blog Tour and Giveaway!



Welcome Welcome to a very exciting post!

I'm thrilled to welcome Carole Wilkinson to my humble blog as part of her Dragonkeeper Blog Tour!

I've done a little interview with Carole and then afterwards you'll find the competition with how you can win a complete set of the Dragonkeeper Books!

You might have seen the new jackets of her best-selling Dragonkeeper series out and about in celebration of Book 4: Blood Brothers. I wrote a review of the first three books which can be found HERE. My review of the new one is HERE.

 

I've asked Carole some questions so we can get to know her a little better. So without further ado, I present the wonderful Carole Wilkinson.

Thanks Michael for hosting the very first blog of my blog tour. And also thanks to the black dog books girls (Maryann Ballantyne, Sue Lawson, Karen Tayleur, Bernadette Kelly and Corinne Fenton) who prodded me into making my answers a bit less monosyllabic, while we were in Adelaide at the CBCA Conference.


My questions are going to be fairly light and fun, I hope that’s ok!


What was the last book you read?
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I'm currently reading Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending for my book club, but I want to read Margo Lanagan's Sea Hearts.
(ooo! I can highly recommend Sea Hearts! Loved it!)

Score out of 10?
7. For 1Q84. Intriguing story, but I thought it could have done with an edit.


Any books you have re-read over and over?
No. Not enough time. I'm a slow reader and there are too many books that I want to read.
(I know what you mean. Slow reader here too! The only book I re-read regularly is 'The Book of Everything' by Guus Kuijer -  my all time favourite book. And that's only because I can get it done in just over an hour. The perfect pick me up!)

Where’s your favourite place to read?
In bed. At night with a whiskey or in the morning with breakfast.


What book would you most like to see turned into a film?
Dragonkeeper, of course!
(Ooo I can't wait for this to be turned into a film! It'd be awesome!)

What is the best film adaptation of a book that you can think of?
Lord of the Rings. I was a big fan when i was younger. (In fact that was one book I have read multiple times. And when my husband John and I were married in 1970, we had our names engraved on our wedding rings in elvish.) I loved Peter Jackson's films and I'm looking forward to The Hobbit.
(I have to agree with you. These films are very good adaptations)

Where was the best Holiday you’ve taken to?
I liked all my holidays, but probably Shanghai which is an amazing place.


Favourite Dessert?
I love most desserts, especially anything with chocolate in it.
(Yes, why choose just one!)

Dogs or Cats? (or something else entirely?)
I like to have both. I have a dog called Rita. We've had heaps of cats over the years, but we don't have one at the moment. I'm waiting for the world to give me a ginger kitten.
(Dear Santa....)

Who would you cast in a Bio flick about you?
It would be a very short movie! I'd choose Emma Thompson.
(Emma's a great choice!)

Ideal night out?
Actually my ideal night out is to stay in. I like make pizza and watch a movie or one of my favourite TV series.
(Again, I know what you mean. Does every couch have its own gravitational core?)

Ideal night in?
See above, but with chocolate and a ginger kitten.


If you had to pick one food that was the only thing you could eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Chocolate...no, perhaps, can I come back to that?


Are your dinner plates patterned or plain?
Plain white. Patterns clash with the food.
(I prefer plain, myself. And I love your reasoning.)

How many members are there in your family? (let’s start with immediate then move to extended)
Three of us, my husband John and daughter Lili, plus the dog and hopefully, soon, a ginger kitten.


What was your favourite board game as a child? (or now, if you’re anything like me).
Actually I hate board games... I get bored. I didn't mind Monopoly as a child. I remember games during the school holidays that went for days.
(Maybe you haven't been playing the right board games? or with the right people? hehe I'm just joking. We're all allowed our own opinions of board games. I won't inflict my mania on the world.)

And finally,
What’s the most random/left-of-field thing anyone has ever said to you?
I was at a school to do an author talk having a cup of tea in the staff room, when a teacher said to me 'Are you a nun?'

(I must admit, that is pretty strange. It's not like you were wearing a habit or anything. ... It's true - I am assuming this)


Thanks Carole, that was fantastic!


Now, dear readers, is your chance to WIN WIN WIN!

One lucky Australian reader will get the complete Dragonkeeper series sent out to them! I'll be running the competition for 2 weeks and the winner will be announced on the 5th of June.
How do you win? I hear you ask. Well that is simple. The winner will be drawn from a hat, and there are 7 ways you can get an entry. You get one entry for each of these simple things. So feel free to do as many as you like as you could get 7 entries to win $85 worth of adventure and fantasy! If you've already done any of these in the past, they will still count! (you might need to bring them to my attention so I don't miss them!)

1) Comment and Contribute! - Tell me what you thought of the post, what you think about the jackets, the books, Carole's wonderful writing. Tell us why you can't wait to read them, or what you thought if you have already.

2) Follow my blog - You can find the subscribe and follow options on the right hand side.

3)

4) Tweet about this post and competition. Be sure to mention me! (@littleelfman)

5) Like my Facebook Page




7) Follow my reviews on Goodreads

Just email me a summary of your entries along with your name and address so I can easily send the books to the winner! ( littleelfman @ yahoo dot com )

Simple! Get involved!

Thanks again to Carole for her answers and to Walker Books for the giveaway!



7 comments:

  1. I love Carole's writing. So good to read beautifully-written fantasy! Literary merit and a great read can get along after all.

    Louise Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Louise. What a lovely thing to say!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting interview. I would have loved to hear how Carole conducts her historical research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It would be great to hear about that sort of thing. I just like to keep things light and fun! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Oh - fantastic - my son was born in Cambodia and I am always on the lookout for Asian themed stories. These look great and I would so love to read them to him (that way I get to read them too)! But they look like the sort of books that can be read and reread time and again! Count me in! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jodie! Perfect then! and very worth reading yourself too! Reading fiction aloud is great!

      Delete