Wednesday, May 23, 2012

JudgeABook: After The Snow by S.D. Crockett

I don't know why, but crows and ravens have always fascinated me. And not in a 'harbinger-of-death' kind of way. They seem so astute, so thoughtful. And the shiny blue-black of their feathers is mesmerizing. Have you guessed why this cover jumped out at me yet?

The title I also found engaging. 'After' automatically conjures events and consequences and following-ons that seem to disappear into the white unknown that the future is, even as the elusive snow melts before us.

It is clear how strong I think this cover is? I hope so.

The 3rd step will be interesting. What can I come up with from 'raven' + 'After' + 'Snow' ?

Who would have thought that the midnight bird would find a place to hide in the fallen snow. Surely the contrast would be too great. 

I had not considered the still-smoking remains of my family's home. I had not considered it because until I had emerged from the trees I had expected to find the familiar building intact. 

Tracks in the snow told me they were alive. I had to believe that these markings were their fleeing steps and not the bearers of corpses.

A harsh cry split the air.
 



 

Find it on Goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment