Saturday, November 14, 2009

Stormbreaker: Alex Rider #1 by Anthony Horowitz



Well what can be said about Stormbreaker?

It is perfect - for what it is.

This is a fast paced, lots of action, spy-James-Bond-style, book with a 14 year old main character. What 10-16 year old boy wouldn't love imagining themselves in his place? Solving the mysteries, thwarting the baddies, using high-tech gizmos, kung-fu-ing henchmen, and being an all round cool guy!

This was a little out of the realm for me. I don't usually go anywhere near this kind of genre. But a new job where I'm expected to know my backlist, an audio book that matched the length of a drive to Canberra and what do you know... Alex Rider. Teenage spy.

This time, I was not taken with the reader of the audio book. I will read the rest of the series myself. It felt stilted and was too easy to tune out and his accents where not the best.

The book on the other hand is better than I thought it would be. It's not as 'well written' in parts and a lot of what I read, but it's perfect for its market and when boys (or even girls, as I know there are some out there that are fans) are reluctant to read, such easy to read but fast paced books are great!

Having discovered in the first chapter that his 'Uncle' (who hated him calling him 'Uncle') died, I immediately wondered which book in this series uncovers that Alex Rider is actually Will Rider's son, not his nephew.

I will have to read to find out and I know I will enjoy them as I go.

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge fan of this series. It's fast-paced and action packed which keeps the reader intrigued. I'd have to agree, the audio book certainly didn't have the best reader (Stephen Fry would have been brilliant - but he had a role in the film instead)and didn't have as much life in it. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete