Thursday, August 18, 2011

Life: An Exploded Diagram by Mal Peet


Wow! I have heard some glowing reviews about Mal Peet’s writing in general but had never had the time to read any of his books. Until now… and I’m left amazed!

Peet’s prose is a smorgasbord for those who love the English language and what it’s capable of. Full of rich and original descriptions and subtleties that state plainly what going on in the story, but allude to so much more. If there is one thing he has achieved in this brilliant book, it is a perfect illustration of Life as an exploded diagram.  No piece of the story is too small or too large to be left out. Each little detail all fits perfectly into the picture. Peet has superbly realised with this novel what his narrator has with his art: “I’ve made my living these past thirty years painting and drawing things exactly and intensely as they are and letting them speak for themselves.”

The story itself centres on two teenagers who are trying to make sense of life and love in the English countryside in the shadow of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The missile crisis is explained in detail as it will affect both of them more than they could have ever imagined.

This is for the reader who wants more. More of everything. More of life. It is not simply another teenage love story. Quoting the book: “Lord knows, bookshop shelves already creak under the weight of Misery Memoirs and Teen Novels that might as well all be called My School Hell. I have no desire to add my small pebble to that avalanche of unhappiness.” 

Do not be fooled by this being shelved in Young Adult fiction sections of bookshops. While it is a great read for the teen who wants something meatier, something better, it is just as much for adults. Those that lived through the missile crisis, those that have only heard about it, those that haven’t but have had a run-in with teenage love, and those that are simply fascinated by life and how everything fits together. In all honesty, I have no interest in politics, but there was no point in this book that I didn’t want to keep reading. Such astounding writing has left me invigorated. I strongly suggest you read this book.

Now I’ve got all of Mal Peet’s other novels to look forward to. As a friend said to me recently “I’m jealous that you’ll get to read them for the first time.” There is a magic in that first reading. There certainly was in this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment