Monday, January 2, 2012

The Tale Of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo & Timothy Basil Ering


I've long loved Kate DiCamillo but haven't read as much of her as I would like. I've only read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and the Magician's Elephant, both of which were absolutely beautiful. It occurred to me, during my fleeting time off over New Year, that I had time, and the desire to finally read her most popular book: The Tale of Desperaux.

Now I've been told by countless booksellers that their personal favourite is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane but I've also heard that Children's favourite is The Tale of Desperaux. Personally, I think that The Magician's Elephant was my favourite, But really, it's like six of one, half a dozen of the other. They're all brilliant! (well, I can only speak of the 3 that I've read).

But on to the book at hand! The Tale of Desperaux won the Newberry Medal (most of what Kate has written has won something...) and then was turned into a film that certainly helped it along in popularity with children everywhere. I've heard lots of stories of teachers reading it to their classes a chapter at a time and having entire classes enthralled. Now that I've read it, I understand why. It was just fantastic.

Every time I read something that Kate DiCamillo has written it just drives home how much of an inspired wordsmith she is. She has a way with words that moves me greatly and makes me think I'm kidding myself that I want to be a writer. (I mean this is a positive way, if you understand me. She raises the bar for writers everywhere). And she's funny! She has me laughing and gasping in wonder at the way her sentences just work. On so many levels, they work.

The Tale Of Desperaux is about a mouse that is born very small compared to the average mouse, and born with his eyes open (which "just isn't done!"), and with very large ears. He develops in a way that is in no way typical of a mouse and is banished to the dungeons where the rats live after he shows himself to Princess Pea.

All I can say is that Desperaux's tale is one that is perfect for readers of any age, and so perfectly crafted that it lends itself to being read aloud. Bed-time-Story-time-Any-time, Chapter-by-chapter or all in one sitting, it is perfect to be devoured or savoured as you wish, but consume it you must! You might get a new appreciation for soup too... but I'll let you discover why.


1 / 40


No comments:

Post a Comment