Friday, January 6, 2012

Goldilocks and the Three Bears by Emma Chichester Clark



What is it?

Who wrote it?
Emma Chichester Clark

Where can it be found?
The shelves of any good bookshop.


Adaptation?
Yes, I believe it’s a fairly straight forward retelling (I haven’t read a ‘traditional’ version yet to know the original ending)

My thoughts in exactly 10 words:
Whimsical and cheery, an amusing book for any family’s collection.


Extended thoughts:
I read this book with a smirk on my face. Mummy Bear sure loves her patterns! It’s like walking into a fabric shop, but adds to the feeling that these bears have made their own (surprisingly cultured) oasis in the middle of the forest, into which bursts a rather impertinent little girl with no regard for other people’s property. With a refrain of “She didn’t wonder. She didn’t ask.” We begin to see that this girl really doesn’t think of anyone but herself. But, admittedly, her self-absorbed exclamations are very entertaining. Far from establishing the reader to take the side of the criminally minded girl, the bears, with their cheerful demeanour, are described as “our friends”.  We are really set up to feel the intrusion along with them. Again, I need to read some more traditional versions to remind myself how they end, but this one has a child(of any age)-friendly ending of Goldilocks being so scared her hair stands on end, she runs all the way home while the bears laugh and laugh and laugh at the thought of a girl being so naughty.

Favourite Quote:
After a nose through the shelves, Goldilocks found something to read. “Now I need somewhere to sit,” she said.

Moral of the story in my own words:
If it isn’t yours, then don’t touch it.
Or
Breaking and entering will only lead to trouble.




No comments:

Post a Comment