This book was originally lent to me with a slip of paper taped over the blurb on the back cover. I was instructed to read it without reading the blurb on the back, or any other descriptions about the story. I wish I could do the same for everyone, because I LOVED reading it that way, not knowing was so good.
Not knowing? you might ask. Not knowing what? Well, you won't find out on this blog. I'm going to have to try and craft this review without giving the game away. What you do with your own time, and if you want to take that extra element of surprise away from yourself, that's up to you.
This is the book that led me to a love of all things Donna Jo Napoli. Return readers might know my love of fairy tales and their adaptations, and technically, this post should be part of my 'Fairytale Friday' series, but unfortunately the questions I pose myself in those posts would reveal too much.
Instead, what I'll say is this: this is an adaption of a fairy tale that puts an entirely different spin on the events and characters. The first half of the story takes place before the story that we know, and there are hints as to where it's going, but it's not until one point where you sit back and go AAAHHHHH!
So very good! Donna Jo Napoli is a genius of re-working a well known story and adding so many layers to what we think we know, adding depth to characters that turn out to be misunderstood. She gives me shivers. It's one of my goals to read everything she has written, which is A LOT!
I recommend hunting this one down with your eyes closed. Trust me.
Find it on Goodreads

No comments:
Post a Comment