
What is it?
Cinderella
Who wrote it?
Barbara McClintock
Where can it be
found?
It's a Picture Book edition
Adaptation?
Retold from the Charles Perrault version and illustrated by...
My thoughts in
exactly 10 words:
The traditional story, just as insipid as usual, nicely illustrated.
Extended thoughts:
Each time I read another version of Cinderella that is even vaguely similar to the traditional one, I am struck by how much the story itself irks me. First of all, why does the father allow his new wife and step daughters treat his daughter so appallingly. I can understand it in the versions where he has died, but in this one he is ruled "with an iron fist" and Cinderella doesn't want to complain for fear of reprimand. But complaining or not, surely he can see the rags she is dressed in, can see the thin mattress she is forced to sleep on, and generally how filthy she is from doing the work of all the servants?
That aside, I'm always annoyed how focused this story is on appearances. I know she's supposed to be beautiful in more ways than physical, and the sisters ugly in more ways than physical, but really. There is no denying that the prince (and everyone else) only pays attention to her because of her looks and magicked clothes.
But I'm being unfair, this was supposed to be a blog about the book itself and here I am going on about the story as it has been forever.
Barbara McClintock has retold it in a very nice way, as in, it is the same sweet story you know (and may well love). So if you want a nice picture book of traditional Cinderella, then by all means, this is for you. Her illustrations work very well paired with a telling of this kind and there is quite a lot of detail in most of them. It's interesting to see the fairy godmother wearing something that looks like she's a walking salad, but it seems to work in a 'magic from nature' kind of way. Particularly when paired with Cinderella's 'fruit'n'flowers' magical dress at the ball.
Favourite Quote:
"They danced all night, chatting with the ease of old, close friends. The time passed sweetly, and so quickly.
Moral of the story in
my own words:
If you want your situation to change, don't confront your persecutors or appeal to your father or a little equality, accept help from a stranger who is offering you a 'magic' solution.
Find it on Goodreads

No comments:
Post a Comment