The Sleeping Beauty In The Forest
Who wrote it?
Berlie Doherty
Illustrated by Jane Ray
Where can it be
found?
Walker Illustrated Classics: Classic Fairy Tales
Adaptation?
No, just a re-telling.
My thoughts in
exactly 10 words:
ALWAYS remember to invite the most evil and powerful fairy.
Extended thoughts:
I love Fairy Tales. I do. But so many of them I read and find myself cringing at the helplessness of the women. This is a case in point. It is beautifully written, and conjures the visuals that one expects (especially with Jane Ray's beautiful illustrations!) but it's hard to escape the fact that the heroine is as passive as you could possibly be, waiting for the man to rescue her.
(I think this is why The Snow Queen is my favourite fairy tale. I know it's not quite the same as traditional stories because it was written by Hans Christian Andersen, but it is the girl who makes the epic journey to save the boy who has been overcome by the shard of the evil mirror and captured by the Snow Queen. But back to this one)
I know I shouldn't go on too much about the point either, as these stories are a product of their time and brave masculine heroes were what people wanted to hear about.
This version, however, is beautifully written. Berlie Doherty knows how to turn a phase, how to set the scene.
Favourite Quote:
"Marry me! I don't want to get married! I don't want to meet any horrible handsome princes," Briar Rose said. "I just want to play with my friends in the castle."
(Those horrible handsome princes! Send them my way! ;)
Moral of the story in
my own words:
I'm not sure how to say it differently to my thoughts in 10 words...
Don't forget to invite anyone who could be spiteful and vengeful at being excluded. Particularly if you are inviting 'Everyone in the kingdom'.
Find it on Goodreads


No comments:
Post a Comment