Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Best of 2011

Being the nerd I am, I keep a spreadsheet of all the books I read filled with brief thoughts and quotes and the date I finish them. (When I told my boss this one time, she said "of course you do" - it's no secret that I'm a nerd)

So when I opened it up this morning to see how many books I read this year, I was a little disappointed. 57, it tells me. Now keep in mind that I only record book of Junior fiction level or higher. Some of the early readers and things aren't long enough for me to add them on, and I simply read too many picture books to try and record them all.

So, 57 novels it is then... I'm hoping to nearly double that next year, but we'll see how we go.

'The Best of 2011'
I hear you ask. Isn't that why we're reading this post anyway?!

Well, yes, so let's get to it!

LittleElfMan's Fiction Picks for 2011:


      

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness from an original idea by Siobhan Dowd
This was just beautiful, moving and superbly written. But I'm a bit of a die-hard Patrick Ness fan with a bit more than an Author-Crush on him I've read all his published books and will keep it that way within the first month or so of each new one being published. I was lucky enough to be given this book on audio by one of my lovely customers for Christmas! Audio is great because with all the driving I do, I don't feel bad about re-reading a book on audio, because we all know there's just no time for re-reading with all the new books that enter the market each month!

I don't think I've told enough people about this series. When I think about it I get the shivers. The same goes for Vol II: Fireborn. This was one book I allowed myself a proper re-read and did it in one sitting. Love, love, love it! I'd go on, but you can just read my reviews. 

This was my introduction to Mal Peet and it more than blew me away! AMAZINGLY crafted! This is one that I read slowly, and deliberately, just absorbing it's brilliance all the way. I was very excited to learn that Mal Peet will be coming out for the Sydney Writer's Festival next year, so now I have a dead line to read the rest of his books. I'm currently reading 'Keeper' and despite having no interest in Football (Soccer for those who need the distinction made), I'm already hooked and he's only just gone into the jungle!

_____________________________________________________

I'll also include some 'Honorable Mentions' as it were. Other titles that I particularly enjoyed. These might not be new this year, but I read them this year.


        

       

The Golden Door by Emily Rodda
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
The Child Thief by Brom
Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
Pan's Whisper by Sue Lawson
Tensy Farlow And The Home For Mislaid Children by Jen Storer

_____________________________________________________

LittleElfMan's Picture Book Picks for 2011:

      

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Too funny! Too brilliant! So very Dry.

Bubble Trouble by Margaret Mahy and Polly Dunbar
A very good friend responded to my original review of this with "My Favourite read aloud picture book ever!" I think that sums it up nicely.

The Cat And The Fiddle by Jackie Morris
Simply stunning! This is a beautiful gift for anyone (let's be honest: including oneself).

 _____________________________________________________


There are far too many notable picture books to list them all. And I've written reviews for far too few of them. In the new year I'll be trying to do more on this blog. I'll be introducing at least two weekly segments: Fairytale Friday (in which I will be consolidating my fairytale blog in with this one - two are too hard to maintain - and be reviewing a fairytale related book/thing each friday.) and 'Judge-A-Book' (I'm very much looking forward to this. Each week in my travels I take note of one book whose cover catches my attention for being particularly good or bad, and write a very short entry about what my expectations are just from the cover itself.) We'll see how they unfold.

I'd love to hear your feedback on my picks of 2011 or my plans for next year. 

Feel free to comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment